How to use ApprenNet as an LTI External Tool in Canvas
Adding ApprenNet to Canvas
Before you go through the steps to add ApprenNet as an external tool to your Canvas course, be sure to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain an LTI key and secret. You need these to complete the steps below. This video walks you through the process of creating an ApprenNet module using LTI. Below are detailed step by step instructions on the set up process.
Note: Your browser must accept third party cookies for LTI to work. You can usually change this setting in your browser's security options.
Once you have your key and secret, add ApprenNet as an External Tool. You can do this two ways:
Using the Instructor App Center
- Log into your Canvas course and select Settings in the left sidebar menu. In the Settings window, select the Apps tab.
- In the Apps tab, you will see the External Apps search bar. Type in "ApprenNet" to find the ApprenNet app. You will see the list filter by app name as you type.
- Select ApprenNet in the filtered list to expand more information. Select the Add Tool button to add ApprenNet to your Canvas course.
- In the popup window, enter your LTI key and secret and select Submit
You are now ready to add ApprenNet as an external tool in a Canvas module.
Using a Manual Configuration
- Log into your Canvas course and select Settings in the left sidebar menu.
- Select the Apps tab in the Settings menu.
- In the Apps tab, select the View Installed Apps button and then select Add New App.
- In the "Edit External Tool" window, enter "ApprenNet" for the Name field, enter your LTI key in the Consumer Key field and your LTI secret in the Consumer Secret field.
- In the Configuration Type drop-down menu, select the By Url option. In the Configuration URL field, paste this URL: http://www.apprennet.com/lti-config.xml
- Select Submit.
You are now ready to add ApprenNet as an external tool in your Canvas course.
For more information about adding LTI External Tools to Canvas, visit the edu-apps tutorial page: https://www.edu-apps.org/tutorials.html
Adding ApprenNet to a Canvas Module
One way to add ApprenNet to your course is in a Canvas module. Once you have ApprenNet added as an external tool to Canvas using the steps above, here is how you can put an external tool link to ApprenNet in a Canvas Module.
- From inside a Canvas module, select the gear drop-down menu and select Add Content.
- In the Add Item window, select External Tool in the Add drop-down menu.
- You will see the ApprenNet tool that we added in the steps above listed in the middle of the Add Item window. Select ApprenNet. This will auto-fill the rest of the form.
- Select Add Item. You will see a link to ApprenNet added to the module.
Selecting this link will behave differently depending on your role in the course and whether or not you already have an ApprenNet account.
As an Instructor, once you log in or create an account, ApprenNet will automatically create a Group for your course and enroll you as an Instructor.
When a Learner launches ApprenNet from this link they will be prompted to log in or sign up. Once they do so, they will automatically be added as a member of your course's ApprenNet Group. Accounts will automatically be created and Users will be signed in based on the user information passed by the LTI link.