Standards Review Policy
In 2012, the Academic Benchmarks Standards Registry℠ has grown to contain 2.6 million standards. Academic Benchmarks understands that clients trust us to deliver high quality and accurate standards data. Our clients understand the company’s efforts to maintain such quality. To manage the process effectively, Academic Benchmarks maintains review and update practices that facilitate timely evaluation and revision or replacements of standards. The summary below of the company’s support and maintenance policy is designed to help our clients better understand what standards are available in the AB Standards Registry℠ and the frequency of review and revision to maintain the Standards Registry℠. The policy statement is a living document that the company will continue to update as client needs change and as Academic Benchmarks enhances services to meet those needs.
The Academic Benchmarks Standards Management Group (SMG) reviews standards by groups based on the frequency of client requests. The team reviews all standards groupings at least semi-annually. For U. S. and Canadian sets, the team reviews those one to three times per quarter. SMG researches carefully the website for each educational authority to verify the most current standards sets and directly contacts the sponsoring authority as needed to clarify and further verify such information as adoption dates, implementation timelines, and application to alignments. Once the data from the website publications are entered, SMG conducts thorough reviews of the content before files are readied for client use. The sections below outline the subject areas available as part of the AB Standards Registry℠. For additional information on other custom options or for more details on the Standards Registry℠ or related services, please contact ABSupport@CerticaSolutions.com.
US and District of Columbia Standards
Academic Benchmarks maintains AB Standards Registry℠ through precision capture methods and a regularly scheduled review and update process throughout the year. For the 50 States and the District of Columbia, Academic Benchmarks supports:
- Academic standards in the Core Four Subjects of Reading/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies.
- Non-Core Subjects, designated as “Selected” (The Arts, ELL, Health/PE, Foreign Languages, Library/Media Literacy, Technology, and Workplace/Career–non job-specific and excluding those standards considered “Vocational”) based on the frequency of use and presence in mainstream K-12 curricula and on the level of client request.
- Early Childhood Standards within the core standards as well as those adopted separately for 4-year olds and 5-year olds outside of a state’s K-12 core standards.
- Standards for other subjects and age levels may be available as separate licensing options.
Academic Benchmarks reviews the data files for the Core Four standards two to three times per quarter to determine if the states or the District of Columbia have altered or replaced information or have adopted new standards. Academic Benchmarks also reviews the Selected Non-Core standards on a similar schedule to determine any modifications to their status. Academic Benchmarks releases revised files within four to five weeks of the determination of change or new adoption status.
Conversion only of Common Core State Standards for Mathematics and English Language Arts are available upon request.
International and Other National Standards
For Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and U. S. Holdings, Academic Benchmarks supports:
- Academic standards in the Core Four Subjects of Reading/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies for all provinces, territories, states, and countries.
- Non-Core Subjects, designated as “Selected” (the Arts, Foreign/International Languages, Health/PE, Technology as available) for the four major provinces in Canada (Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario, Quebec) and in England based on the frequency of use in mainstream K-12 curricula and the level of client request.
- Selected Core Four standards for additional International education authorities may also be available.
- Standards files for other subjects and provinces/territories/countries may be available as separate custom options.
Academic Benchmarks reviews standards files for Canadian authorities at least quarterly as needed to determine if the authority has altered or replaced information or has adopted new standards. Academic Benchmarks also reviews and updates Core Subject standards for Australia, the United Kingdom, and such U. S. Holdings as Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands, at least annually. Academic Benchmarks releases revised documents within four to five weeks of review and determination of change or new adoption status.
Academic Benchmarks may convert National standards for a client’s use based on the client securing permission from the appropriate organization.