When creating an item, you can choose to create a "Fill in the Blanks (Cloze)" item. There are several interactions for this type of item:
- Cloze with drag & drop
- Cloze with drop down
- Cloze with text
- Label image with drag & drop
This article outlines the basic steps for creating any item involving a "cloze" (gap).
Choose the "Cloze" Item Type
To create a Cloze item:
- Follow the instructions in Creating an Item to get started creating a new item in your local item bank.
- When you are choosing an item type, choose Fill in the Blanks (Cloze) from the left side of the Create Item page:
You can see samples of each type of item. Move the cursor over the type of interaction you want to create, and click the plus sign that appears.
Enter the Stem and Responses
After you select an item type, placeholders for the parts of the item appear. For example, for a "Cloze with drop down", you see a place for:
- (1) the stem ("Compose question"), which tells the student what to do.
- (2) the text containing the clozes ("Template markup").
- (3) the choices in the drop down ("Possible responses").
Enter a stem in the "Compose question" section.
Under "Template markup," remove the Latin placeholder text so that the space is blank. Enter some text that should contain the "cloze" areas to fill in.
Insert a Cloze Field
Wherever you want a "cloze" (in this case, a drop-down menu), click the "Insert Response" icon:
Enter Possible Responses
Under "Possible responses," click ADD.
Enter any possible response.
Continue clicking ADD and entering additional possible responses.
Set the Correct Answer
Set the correct answer by choosing the correct response:
Click SAVE to save your item.
Refer to Creating a New Item for information on item options as well as any text-to-speech issues considerations.