ItemLogic allows you to edit the metadata (properties or tags) for multiple items at a time using Bulk Change.
Navigate to an Item Bank
To begin using Bulk Change to edit the properties of multiple items at once:
- Open an item bank and go to the Items panel.
- Optionally, you may select the items to edit by clicking the boxes to the left of the items. Use the filters or search functionalities to find and select items you want to edit. (See Finding Items for additional information.)
Note: If you do not select the items here, you can select them in during the Bulk Change process.
Select Bulk Change
From the Actions menu, choose Advanced > Bulk Change.
The Bulk Change page opens to Step 1: Select Assets. If you've already selected items, those items are displayed on the All Assets tab.
If you did not select items already, all the items are listed. The Advanced Search interface is available at the top for finding items, if you want to narrow the list.
To select items, follow the steps outlined below in the section titled, "Step 1: Select Assets".
Step 1: Select Assets
Select the items you want to change.
- To change ALL the items listed on the All Assets tab, leave the option "Affect all assets" turned on, as it is by default.
- To change only SOME of the items listed on the All Assets tab, click "Affect only selected assets," and select the items you want to edit.
These then appear on the Selected Assets tab and are the only items that will be changed.
Step 2: Define Actions
This is where you specify the changes to make to the items.
- Click where it says "Select Filter..." in the Property field and choose a property or tag to change.
- In the Action field, specify what you want to do with the property:
- Set (replaces any current values and assigns new value(s))
- Add (assigns new value(s) but does NOT replace any current values)
- Remove (removes values)
Empty (removes all values)
- In the Value(s) field, select or enter one or more values to set, add, or remove. (There is no need to select values for the action of "Empty"; all values will be removed.) In the image below, the Grade Level for all the selected items will change to Grade 4, overwriting any already existing grade levels.
Here are some other examples. The following action will add "Science" as a subject to all the items, but will retain any other subjects already associated with the items:
In the following example, the selected items that are already assigned to one or more projects, will not be assigned to any projects:
Add any other properties you want to change by clicking New Action.
A new line appears and you can fill it in by repeating the steps outlined above. The image below shows a new action line added under the first defined action.
Step 3: Review Changes
This step allows you to download and review a “change file” that contains all the items and the planned property changes.
Click the download and review link.
Open the CSV file from where your browser downloaded it. These files have names in the form of "bulk-change-driver-x.csv", where x is a number, indicating the number of change files that have been generated. You can open this file in Microsoft® Excel or any text editor. The following is a sample CSV file:
"asset_type" is always "item," in the case of editing items
"asset_id" refers to the internal universally unique identifier (UUID)
"asset_id_alt" refers to the local ID
"title" is the title of the asset
"action" is the action you selected
"key" is the property being changed
"value" is the property value being changed
Review the planned changes. If the planned changes look good, click Continue on Step 3. A message asks if you are sure you want to continue; click OK if you are sure. If the planned changes do not look like what you wanted, click Back on Step 3.
Step 4: Perform Changes
At this point, the items are being edited. This may take a while, depending on the number of items and complexity of the changes being made. The progress bar shows you how it’s going, but you can navigate away if you need to. When you see the 100% Complete message, the items have been successfully changed.
Click Continue to return to the Items list page.