A Text Graphic Gap Match interaction is a graphical interaction with a set of gaps that are defined as areas (hotspots) on a graphic image and an additional set of text-based gap choices that are defined outside the image. The candidate must place the text-based gap choices onto the gaps on the image. (For an interaction involving graphics as gap choices, refer to Graphic Gap Match.)
Follow by Example: If you want to follow along with the same graphics used in this example, download the image file attached to this article.
Creating a Text Graphic Gap Match Interaction
- In the item editor, add a Text Gaphic Gap Match interaction type, located on the Graphic tab.
- Add content to your stem prompt (ex: "Four cities in New Jersey are missing their labels...").
- In the field labeled Hotspot Stage, upload or browse to an image and Create a Hotspot Stage. Place hotspots on your stage that are the same size so it resembles the following graphic:
For this example, change the W (width) from 40 to 80 by clicking on each hotspot.
Next, add the tokens (text or math) you wish to provide the candidate for pairing to the stage hotspots. In the field labeled Tokens for Positioning, enter text into the field  and click Add Text .
Repeat this process until you have the tokens listed.
Define correct token/hotspot matches:
- Click the plus sign four times (1) in the "Scored Matches" section to define four associations.
Click Source (2), then select a token from the Select Token drop-down menu (3). Then click Destination and select a hotspot from the Select Hotspot drop-down menu. For this example, pair:
- Token 1 (T1) to Hotspot 2
- Token 2 (T2) to Hotspot 1
- Token 3 (T3) to Hotspot 3
- Token 4 (T4) to Hotspot 4
(Note: These assignments may vary depending on the order you added tokens and hotspots.)
To un-assign a token, right-click on it to convert it back to a placeholder.
Defining Token Usage
By default, each token can be used an unlimited number of times. To set a minimum and maximum number of times a token can be used:
Click the "Limits" icon to the right of the token.
In the Edit Match Limits dialog, enter the number of times the token MUST be used into the Min Uses field (default is 0) and the most number of times the token can be used into the Max Uses field (default is infinite).
Click Submit. The usage limits display.
You may want to preview or render your item, or save and submit it for review.