If you are logged in as an administrator in the TE21 district, you may import assessments by uploading XLSX files containing assessment information.
Step 1: Create the File
To create an XLSX file in the required format, you need to download a template and populate it with the required information.
Download the Template
Follow these steps to download the template:
- From the Assessments menu, choose Bulk Import.
- Click Download Template.
Open the downloaded file, which looks like this:
- ALL information is required, except for "Item Sequence", "Alignments", and "Section Sequence". You must leave the header in the file, but you do not have to populate it with information.
- The cells in bold are required identifiers; do NOT make any edits to them.
- The cells containing descriptions enclosed in brackets are placeholders that describe the information you must enter. These should be replaced and populated with your own assessment information. Refer to the section that follows for an example of a populated template.
Populate the Template
To populate the template:
- Enable editing of the file if it is not already.
- Replace the placeholder information (descriptions enclosed in brackets), with your assessment information. Here is an example of a template properly populated with assessment information:
Important: ALL fields must be filled in, except for "Item Sequence", "Alignments", and "Section Sequence". If you don't want to include those, select the placeholder text, right-click and choose Clear Contents.
For more information on values to provide for "Region," "Document," and "Adopt Year," refer to the List of Supported Standards Cores.
"Item Sequence", "Alignments", and "Section Sequence" are only optional fields.
- "Item Sequence" indicates the order in which items should be added to the assessment. You must include an Item Sequence number for ALL items or for NO items at all. If no "Item Sequence" is provided, the items will be added in the order they are listed under "Vendor ID."
- "Alignments" may be provided for any number of items as needed. This is simply informational data; no alignments are added to items within enCASE. One situation in which this information is referenced is when items cannot be found: the log file will identify each missing item with their Vendor ID and associated alignment if one is available.
- "Section Sequence" may be provided if the assessment needs more than one section. The values should be integers, indicating a section that should contain the item. You must include a Section Sequence number for ALL items or for NO items at all. If no "Section Sequence" is provided, the assessment will have one section containing all the items. You may add calculators to the sections or rename the section names in enCASE after the import is completed.
The file information in the image shown above will create a new assessment that:
- Is titled, "Math Assessment #1 G3 2020."
- Contains four items in sequential order
- Contains three sections. One item is in Section 1, one item is in Section 2, and two items are in Section 3. (To edit names of sections or apply calculators to them, edit the assessment in enCASE.)
- Associated with the Kentucky 2019 "Mathematics" standards document (i.e. its associated "Core" in enCASE will be "KY: Mathematics (2019)").
To upload more than one assessment per XLSX file, create the file with multiple sheets, one for each assessment. Copy the template contents of Sheet1 into other sheets, and then populate them as needed for each assessment.
Note: If a sheet exists, it must be populated. If it is not, delete the sheet.
Save the File
Save the populated template in a place you'll remember and with a new name (*.XLSX), and close the file.
Step 2: Import the File
Follow these steps to upload the XLSX file:
- Make sure the file is not open in Excel.
- From the Assessments menu, choose Bulk Import.
- Click Upload File.
Browse to the location of the file to upload, select it, and click Open. (The exact steps may vary, depending on your browser.)
The import begins and the system attempts to create the assessment(s).
Step 3: Review the Log
Results of the import are shown in the log results on the Import Assessments page.
You may see temporary Status values such as "Uploaded" or "Creating Passages".
When the file is completely processed, a final status is available and options become available for downloading the file, viewing the log file, or removing the upload record .
If the import failed, you see a message indicating that the file could not be imported, and the log status may be something such as "Failed," "Errored," or "Rejected."
To see why the import failed, click the Download Log File icon.
Error messages in the log file indicate the problem.
If the file imported successfully, you see a message indicating this. The log status shows how many assessments were created.
Note: The assessment is placed in the account of the assessment author.
Click the Download Log File icon.
Check for Removed Items
Review the summary of what was created and if there were any "Removed Items":
"Removed Items" are those that were in the XLSX file but were not found in enCASE and were therefore removed. The assessment author should further investigate removed items. See Verify Imported Assessments, which explains the process to authors.
Tip: You can use the Download Original File icon to download the file that was used in the upload, to verify its contents or for any other purpose.
Item Matches and Duplicates
During the import, the system searches for exact item matches according to the Vendor ID.
If no exact match is located:
- The system looks for a match to "Item[Vendor ID]" or "Item [VendorID]". (For example, Vendor ID "231" could match to "Item231" or "Item 231".)
- The system looks for a match to other versions of a Vendor ID. (For example, Vendor ID "231" could match to "231-1" or "231-2".)
- If the Vendor ID begins with the word "Item", the system looks for matches according to the Vendor ID without the word "item." (For example, Vendor ID "Item 4545" or "Item4545" could match to "4545".)
If there is still no match to the item Vendor ID, the item is removed.
Duplicate item Vendor IDs are ignored. i.e. If an item Vendor ID is listed twice, it is added to the assessment only once.
Step 4: Notify the District
If an import is successful, inform the district that the assessment(s) are ready. It may also be useful to download and send the log files to them.
The assessment author (or an administrator in their district) should then Verify Imported Assessments and check for any removed items.